Tunnel of Oppression to educate through immersion

Story by Lexi Loya, Editor

Intense.

This is the word freshman Danisha Turner used to describe her expectations for the Tunnel of Oppression, which will be held from 3 to 6 p.m. on Tuesday in Parmenter Hall.

“When I saw (the flyer), I thought it was an awesome idea,” Turner said.

The Tunnel, first started four years ago, was created by two campus organizations: Mungano and the Student Activities Council. Director of Student Life Randy Flowers said that the Tunnel of Oppression is “a tour that will engage students in an immersive experience of scenes where participants experience firsthand different forms of oppression through interactive acting, viewing monologues and multimedia.”

It is an interactive and immersive experience, where visitors will walk through a presentation designed to educate them on different forms of oppression in today’s society. The specific scenes of oppression students will experience involve ability, class, body image, immigration, homophobia, genocide, religion, relationship violence and race.

“It has been created by these two as there are many multicultural issues that come up,” Flowers said. “But it’s also an event that SAC feels is important to the university and the co-curricular education they try to provide.”

Flowers added that this event has been implemented by several other universities across the nation, so they reached out to some of those schools when Baker decided to start doing its own.

Turner, along with several other freshmen, is required by her Salon class to attend, but she said it is one of the more interesting required assignments she has had.

Another student who plans on attending the event with her Salon class is freshman Madi Kent.

“I think it might be about negativity and how to conquer it,” Kent said.

Flowers said that usually only around 100 students attend the event each year, but he recommends that all students should attend every year as the Tunnel is subject to change.

“The topics covered are always the same, as oppression can always fall into the same categories, but how you share those categories and the way it is present is always different,” Flowers said. “You can expect every room to look and feel different than previous years.”

Flowers also said that because there are still numerous incidents of oppression in our daily lives, everything we can do to help elevate awareness is absolutely needed.

“This event is very tense but it delivers a message we all need to hear,” Flowers said.