Mungano, others celebrate Black History Month

Story by Lexi Loya, Editor

Most students associate February with Valentine’s Day, but many know that it’s also Black History Month.

Senior Ty Sloan, vice president of Mungano, a student-run diversity organization, wants more people to know what this month is all about.

“I’ve seen people posting that February is now like Fine Arts Month and I’m just like, it’s definitely Black History Month, always has been,” Sloan said.

Black History Month started in the 1920s and in the beginning was only celebrated during the first week of February in honor of birthdays for Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass. It wasn’t until the 1970s that it was expanded to a month, thus becoming the celebration of African-American accomplishments it is today.

Sloan is also a member of the sorority Zeta Phi Beta. She celebrates Black History Month by going to events like the one her sorority will host later this month or by doing community service activities.

“It’s a time for reflection and to look back on all the things that have happened and to see how you can improve society for the better,” she said.

Another member of Mungano, junior Lauren Allen-Brown, said she also celebrates this month by doing community service, attending a church service or going to a program on campus. Allen-Brown, who is president of Mungano, said that the organization always does something for Black History Month in their meetings.

“This year, we did something a little fun and did our rendition of MTV’s “Wild ‘N Out,” but we did it with black history facts,” she said.

On the other end of the spectrum is Assistant Professor of English Tamara Slankard. She said she doesn’t really do anything specific to celebrate it because she thinks black history should be acknowledged throughout the year.

“I think it’s something that should be part of our everyday lives and not just relegated to one month,” Slankard said.

Leonard Ortiz, associate professor of history, agreed with Slankard and said he doesn’t believe there should be a Black History Month at all.

“I believe that every month should be black history month, in the same manner that it should be women’s history month or Hispanic history month or Asian history month,” Ortiz said.

Ortiz believes that because our history is a “collective experience” groups shouldn’t be separated, even though he knows it’s done for the best of intentions.

“I think it’s an apologist approach,” Ortiz said. “That America has said we realize we really screwed you guys over, therefore we’re going to make it up to you by having your special history month.”

While Ortiz is aware that this is a very different opinion from most people’s and may sound harsh, he said that his intention is not to badmouth Black History Month or say that it doesn’t matter.

“I still think it’s important, in a sense, because of the awareness,” Ortiz said. “It reminds people that the black community has contributed so much to our history.”

For Sloan and Allen-Brown, Black History Month also reminds them of where they came from.

“Remembering the struggles of my ancestors and to keep fighting because there are still more improvements that can be made,” Sloan said.

Slankard agreed.

“We [have to] make a conscious effort to try and make sure that we don’t go backward, that we go forward, and that we’re committed to civil rights and civil liberties of everyone.”