Softball loses three on opening weekend

Story by Levi Blaylock, Writer

The softball team opened its season at the Oklahoma Baptist Valentine Festival on Friday and Saturday in Shawnee, Oklahoma, ending the weekend with a 1-3 record.

The team ended day one with an 0-2 record after falling to the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma 8-0, then losing again to St. Gregory University 9-0. This was not exactly how the Wildcats envisioned their season starting.

Junior Mallorie Nelson was the primary pitcher against USAO, giving up nine hits and eight runs, while sophomore Katt Cooper carried most of the pitching load against St. Gregory’s, giving up six hits and seven runs. The Wildcats only played 10 total innings between the two opening games.

“We expected too much of ourselves. We had been doing really well in practice the week before the tournament, so going in I think we all expected to be able to come out and blow away the teams we were playing,” senior Peyton Weekly said. “Our bats weren’t entirely awake either, so we have some things to work on in the coming weeks”

The Wildcats finished the weekend on a high note, splitting their two games. Their win came against the host team Oklahoma Baptist University, 1-0, after they dropped the first game to Bethany College, 19-4.

The Wildcats saw the bats wake up a little bit Saturday. They complied seven hits and five runs total against OBU and Bethany. Weekly, who scored three of the five runs Sunday, led the Wildcats.

The Wildcats will be traveling again this weekend to the Lubbock Christian Tournament in Mansfield, Texas, where they will be facing six different teams throughout the weekend. One of the games will be a rematch between Baker and Bethany.

Playing six games this weekend gives the Wildcats a great opportunity to turn the season in the right direction.

“Going out and working hard every play and working together as a team to make things happen is going to be key this weekend.” Weekly said. “I have all the confidence in the world in my teammates so I’m excited to see how we do in Texas.”

Even with a tough opening weekend, Weekly feels strongly that this is just the first obstacle to overcome in a long season.

“I firmly believe that if we take care of our business and do all the little things right and play our game, that we should be in a good position to win games,” she said.