King and Queen of Courts raises $660

Story by Lexi Loya, Editor

King and Queen of Courts, a fundraiser put on every spring semester by the Cardinal Key National Honor Society, raised $660 for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. At the basketball games on Feb. 21, seniors Travis Ray and Alyse Menghini were crowned king and queen.

Students voted for candidates by putting money into jars set up in the Long Student Center. Coins counted as positive points toward the candidate, but dollar bills were recorded as negative. A person was also able to write a check for either positive or negative points.

“We usually raise about $500 each year,” Sara Crump, faculty advisor of Cardinal Key, said.

The candidates in the running this year for the men were Ray (Delta Tau Delta), Barkley Edison (Kappa Sigma), Seth Swearengin (Sigma Phi Epsilon) and Collin Studer (Zeta Chi).

The female candidates were Menghini (Delta Delta Delta), Claire White (Alpha Chi Omega), Rashida Simpson (Zeta Phi Beta) and Bailey Sosa (Zeta Tau Alpha).

Crump said for the past couple of years, the jars remain nearly empty until the last day of voting, when everyone comes and dumps change into candidates’ jars. Despite the donation being mainly coins, Crump said that they still raise “a good chunk of money” for juvenile diabetes.

Senior Abbey Elsbernd, member of Cardinal Key, said that this fundraiser has always done well in the past.

“I think it’s successful because it brings out a little competition,” Elsbernd said.

Freshman Forrest Young thinks that, while the competition is for a good cause, it seems to be more of a popularity contest.

“But it’s for charity so I can see how it’s justified,” Young said.

While Elsbernd acknowledged that there was competition in the King and Queen of Courts, she disagreed that it was about popularity due to all the money being raised.

“Yes, you’re voting for your candidate, but you’re also helping out while you’re doing it so it kind of changes the dynamics,” Elsbernd said.