Scholars Symposium changes structure

Story by Nathalia Barr, Managing Editor

The annual tradition of the Scholars Symposium is coming up on April 22, but this year it comes with some revisions. The event is now titled Dialogos, coming from the Greek words dia, which means “through,” and logos, which means “word” or “meaning,” representing a flow of meaning.

The most notable change for students is it will now be held on a Wednesday instead of regularly scheduled classes. In the past, it was held on a Saturday. The day begins at 9 a.m. in Rice Auditorium.

Assistant Professor of Exercise Science Chris Todden, a member of the Dialogos committee, said that this change is intended to expand the opportunity for more students to be involved. Todden said the committee believes the campus outgrew the traditional process and it was time to expand the program for more involvement.

The symposium provides Baker students the opportunity to showcase their individual or group work, whether it is a performance, research project or art project, and take pride in what they have accomplished. Submissions are due at noon on April 15.

This year’s keynote speaker, 1993 graduate Nathan Wesselowski, was selected by the Music and Theater Department. Wesselowski is a voice and early childhood music teacher with the Wisconsin Conservatory of Music. Besides composing and arranging music professionally, he has sung as a soloist with the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra and the Milwaukee Chamber Orchestra.

Before and after the keynote speech, there will be open sessions in Mabee Hall during which students will present their work. The program will also include roundtable discussions, which are new this year. Outside professionals will discuss their career fields with students, who have the opportunity to ask questions. Seats for roundtable discussions are limited, so students must sign up in advance.

“The hope is that students participate throughout the entire day, but they are welcome to come and go as they please,” Todden said.

Todden encourages students and faculty to attend.

Dialogos is “one of those things people appreciate that they went to,” Todden said. “It is a truly inspiring event.”