Rottinghaus exhibit features 10 years of work

President Lynne Murray is considered the “face of the university.” What about the man behind the lens? Public Relations Director Steve Rottinghaus has been taking pictures for the university for the past 10 years.

A photo exhibit featuring Rottinghaus’s photos is currently open at the Holt-Russell Gallery on campus from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekdays.

Rottinghaus began his career at Baker in 2005. He was planning on moving to Wellsville with his family and noticed a job posting for the public relations position. He previously worked at the Lawrence Journal World and thought that all the roles he played there would help him in his position here at BU.

“The primary focus of the Baker job description was media relations, sports writing and internal communications and writing and editing for the alumni magazine,” Rottinghaus said. “It was as if my entire newspaper career had prepared me for the Baker job, and it was a good professional and personal fit for me.”

Students and faculty take notice of the quality of work Rottinghaus puts in to capturing photos for the Baker website, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages.

“I like how the multiple series of pictures show different sides of Baker,” freshman Webb Boswell said. “It helps people who don’t know the happenings of the campus get a bigger scope of the action going on.”

Thosewho enjoy the photos can thank Rottinghaus himself for making the exhibit happen. He knew there was not going to be an exhibit on display this spring, and Rottinghaus did not want the Holt-Russell Gallery to be empty with the commencement and alumni weekend coming up.

The photo exhibit features five different categories that Rottinghaus selected including student life, the president, campus scenery, commencement and alumni.

“I knew commencement was going to be a big part of the exhibit because it is my favorite event to cover,” Rottinghaus said. “I especially enjoy taking photos of the graduates outside the Collins Center, moments after the ceremony while they celebrate with family and friends.”

Sophomore Andrew Dare plans on seeing the exhibit.

“From what I have heard, there are some interesting pictures on display worth going to see,” Dare said.

Rottinghaus has taken close to 14,000 photos over the past 10 years, and he had to narrow this number down to 25 for the exhibit.

“I wanted to make sure I could justify the reason behind the 25 I selected, and I did not want to have any regrets about the choices I made,” Rottinghaus said.

He has two favorite photos on display, one of which is of a tree and bush with contrasting colors taken in front of Osborne Chapel. The other picture is of a graduate showing his grandmother his diploma and looking to see her reaction.

Those interested in seeing the exhibit featuring Rottinghaus’ photos can do so until May 17.