Speaker teaches leaders to leave legacy

Story by Spencer Brown, Assistant News Editor

Baker students had the opportunity to attend a presentation on leadership skills called “What Will Your Legacy Be?” given by Robert Page in McKibbin Recital Hall on April 29.

Page started his presentation by speaking about how he first learned to become a leader; growing up in the inner city of St. Louis, Missouri, had a major influence on his transition into becoming the leader he is today. As a child he wanted to fit in, and becoming a leader was the best way for him to do so.

“Engage yourself in things that promote tenacity and spirit, and believe me, this will go a long way,” Page said. “Devotion to grow as a leader within our community is what will sustain our future, and this must be our core mission as leaders and difference makers.”

He also attributed much how he learned to become a leader to his time spent in college at the University of Central Missouri. Page gave one very personal story of his time as a resident assistant that left an impression on students attending the presentation.

“His life that he shared with us was something special and we were privileged to learn from him,” freshman Adam Downing said.

Page gave attendees, most of whom will be either Summer Orientation leaders or Wildcat Welcome leaders next fall, an acronym to remember what it takes to be a leader. Page said that if a person can remember the four parts of LEAD (legacy, empowerment, attitude, devotion) and abides by them, then he or she will become a successful leader.

“I learned what it means to be a leader and how to increase my leadership skills,” freshman Nick Patterson said. “I also learned a lot about how to treat others to show them I can be someone to look up to, which will help me a lot for Wildcat Welcome next fall.”

Students found different highlights from Page’s presentation to focus on in the future.

“What I took away from Wednesday night was that everything you do impacts somebody in some way, and to watch how you treat people because everyone interprets words differently,” sophomore Rick Rosas said.

During his presentation, Page centered his focus on the Devotion aspect of his LEAD acronym. He told the students that engaging oneself in on-campus activities and leadership positions will be beneficial in making improvements to a student’s leadership ability.

Page ended the presentation by telling students that he looks forward to having them as great leaders in the world.