SAC to offer annual respite during finals week

Story by Nathalia Barr, Managing Editor

With the warm weather here to stay, students can practically taste summer approaching. For some, only one bitter taste remains: finals. As a roadblock between students and the freedom of summer, students are finding ways to cope with finals stress and Student Activities Council is trying to help.

May 11-15 is the week many students are dreading because of the stress and anxiety often caused by finals, but the Student Activities Council is carrying on its annual tradition of finals study breaks.

Junior Ashley Riniker is leading the events for SAC and is excited to see this year’s turnout.

“Study breaks are a small piece of fun during a stressful time,” Riniker said. “I think if someone just goes once, then it will be an experience they’ll want to have every semester.”

Finals Frenzy 2015 kicks off at 6 p.m. on Sunday at the Lodge. Baker students can relax with free food, drinks and mini golf before the week starts.

Freshman Jace Hale says the stress of finals week provides the motivation to finish the semester strong and earn the grade he has been striving for, but is looking forward to Sunday’s event.

“I think it would be a good time to bring some of my buddies out there to get some free food and golf and relax before we hit hard on finals,” Hale said.

Beginning at 11 a.m. on Monday, students are invited to the Long Student Center for free lunch with a chocolate fountain available in the cafeteria. The Long Student Center will also have a stress-free zone that includes a caricaturist along with massages and wax hand dips provided by the health center.

That night, from 9-10 p.m. the Long Student Center will also be hosting So-Long Solo, an Indie Folk/Pop, multi-instrumentalist duo from Kansas City and a Build-A-Bear activity while serving breakfast. The event will also include Adagio tea, so students can relax by listening to music and drinking some of their samples. The Build-A-Bear activity will only be available for the first 100 students.

At 8 p.m. on Wednesday, May 13, the Baker University Loud Noises improv group will perform its final show of the semester in McKibbin Recital Hall, where students can enjoy a laugh before finishing out finals week.

Junior Aaron Greenbaum has been a member of the improv group since his freshman year. This is his favorite study break activity because it is a “different outlet of humor” for him. Greenbaum has attended many SAC study breaks while he has been at Baker, but he particularly likes those in the spring.

“I’m going to be away from most of my Baker friends for the summer, so it becomes bonding time,” Greenbaum said.

Whether it’s to get away from studying or to enjoy the last few days with friends, SAC hopes the study breaks will benefit students.

“Even if they don’t get a lot of recognition, I think SAC does an excellent job making things like this available to us for free,” Hale said.