Men’s soccer opens season with three victories

Story by Nathalia Barr, Managing Editor

A double overtime win against Midland University on Saturday in Fremont, Nebraska marked the Wildcats’ third straight shutout win to start the 2015 season. This is the first time since 2011 that the team has started the season with three shutout victories.

At the end of regulation, the game remained tied at zero. In the 108th minute, junior midfielder Keaton Anchors put one in the back of the net for the Wildcats off of a cross from sophomore Blake Levine. If Baker had not scored there and the match had remained scoreless through the next two minutes, then it would have ended in a draw.

The Wildcats had 24 shots, putting 10 of them on frame. Anchors led the team with six shot attempts. The Warriors had only eight shots, four of which were on goal.

After playing in 11 games in the 2014 season, sophomore Patrick Rydberg had only one shutout. However after recording four saves in goal against the Warriors, Rydberg and the ‘Cats defense have three consecutive shutouts.

Last year the men did not record a win until the sixth game of the season. This 3-0 record is the best start to a season for the men’s soccer team since 2011, when the team went 20-2-1, won the Heart Conference and made it to the final four of the NAIA National Tournament.

Next up for the ‘Cats will be Goshen College on Sept. 4 and then Holy Cross on Sept. 5 in Goshen, Ind. Goshen has opened up its 2015 season with one win and two losses and Holy Cross sits at 2-0.