Women’s soccer takes first two

Story by Levi Blaylock, Writer

The Baker women’s soccer team outscored Midland University 2-1 in its second game of the season Aug. 29 Saturday in Fremont, Nebraska. The Wildcats improved to 2-0-0 on the season.

The Wildcats saw their first goal from junior Madison Armoneit in the 74th minute of the match. They were able to use that momentum to score a quick second goal only four minutes later with junior Keeley Atkin giving Baker the lead.

Former All-American Shelby Schiraldi, who is now a graduate assistant for head coach Davy Phillips, is pleased about the start of this year’s season.

“Coming out with two wins is always an exciting way to start the season,” Schiraldi said.

With the team’s sights set high on a national championship, Schiraldi also commented on the new leadership on the team this year.

“The upperclassmen are stepping up as big role models and leading the team, while the new and younger players are able to step up and fill the roles that were left by last year’s senior class and also provide some new energy,” Schiraldi said.

One of the newcomers to the Wildcats is freshman Oaklee Jones. Jones saw a substantial amount of playing time against Midland and looks very promising moving forward.

“It was surprising to me that I was playing so much,” Jones said. “Knowing that Davy has that confidence in me makes me want to prove to him and the rest of the team that I can handle the other team.”

Baker hopes to keep this winning streak going as long as possible and both Schiraldi and Jones have ideas on what it is going to take to get that done.

“The key to keep this winning streak going, I think, is coming to each and every game and practice with high energy and passion for the game,” Schiraldi said. “When you love something, you work hard for it everyday, which ultimately makes you successful.”

Jones is also keeping a positive outlook.

“The key to me is just having faith in the other girls, and not getting upset when one makes a mistake,” Jones said.

Baker has five more non-conference games before starting conference play, and only two of those are at home in Baldwin City.

“Conference wins are very important in order to reach nationals,” Schiraldi said. “They also have a more personal feel, which makes them more intense to play in.”

The women play at 7 p.m. this Wednesday at Ottawa University before playing at home for the first time against Oklahoma Wesleyan at 7:30 p.m. Saturday at Liston Stadium.