Convocation celebrates liberal arts

Story by Mykaela Cross, Assistant Editor

The Baker University campus celebrated the start of the 2015-16 academic school year with the annual Convocation ceremony on Tuesday. Provost Brian Posler, Baker University President Lynne Murray, Student Senate President Aaron Greenbaum and 2015 Kopke Award winner and business professor Alan Grant provided words of wisdom for the upcoming year.

This year’s event presented a new addition to Convocation, “The Faces of the Class of 2019,” as a way to welcome the incoming class of freshmen. The video featured photos, videos and commentary highlighting new students as they moved into the dorms and adjusted to campus life.

As the opening words of the ceremony, Posler commented on the importance of the fine arts in education and promoted Baker’s ability to prepare students for life because the arts are at its core. At the end of his speech, Posler urged students to, “Relish your studies and let them bring you joy.”

Grant’s words were of the relationship between students and professors and the range of benefits those relationships can yield. Besides admitting that watching students grow and change is one of his favorite parts of being a professor, Grant encouraged students to take advantage of the opportunities the professors at Baker have to offer.

“Do more than just attend classes,” Grant said. “My hope is that you will seek out the amazing experiences your professors provide for you.”

Nearing the end of the ceremony, Murray called Convocation a day to teach and dream. The university’s president addressed all of Baker’s campuses, faculty and administration and explained why she finds Baker graduates are prepared to, “go out into the world and immediately make a difference.”

“Baker graduates really do go higher,” Murray said.