Volleyball swept in Baker Invitational

Story by Nathalia Barr, Managing Editor

The Baker volleyball team lost all four matches this weekend in the Baker Invitational. This brings the Wildcats’ overall record to 7-6 after five consecutive losses.

The Baker Invitational included Northwestern University, Oklahoma City University, Graceland University, Ottawa University and Bellevue University. No. 12 Northwestern dominated the tournament, winning all four of its matches.

Despite the tough losses, sophomore Brittney Diehm remains optimistic for the team.

“We are learning to play together so we just haven’t adjusted yet because we have such a young team,” Diehm said. “One goal we have is to just mesh as well as possible as a team since a lot of us are new.”

In the first match, the Wildcats lost to Oklahoma City, 25-23, 23-25, 20-25 and 14-25. Junior Kadie Baumgardner led the defensive effort with 22 digs. Freshman Ashley Sparks led the Wildcats with 30 total attacks.

Against Ottawa, the Wildcats lost in five sets, 15-25, 25-21, 24-26, 25-20 and 8-15. Baumgardner’s defense stood out again, this time with 39 digs. Baker had a team total of 19.5 blocks. Freshman Kailin Cordes and senior Natalie Minchow had 35 and 29 total attacks, respectively.

In the Northwestern matchup, the Wildcats suffered a three-set loss, 22-25, 24-26 and 21-25. Baker led 24-17 in the second set but dropped nine consecutive points to lose the set and the momentum. Baumgardner had 23 digs; however, the defensive effort was not enough to outlast Northwestern’s offense. Schut had 12 kills, leading Northwestern to victory.

The Wildcats finished the weekend with a close loss to Bellevue, 25-22, 25-16, 13-25, 23-25 and 11-15. Baker had a team total of 13 blocks over Bellevue’s 8. Cordes had 12 kills on the offensive side.

The Wildcats are back in action, looking to break the losing streak, on Tuesday, Sept. 15, at William Penn University, which has opened its season with a 1-11 record.

“We just need to finish games because the talent and work ethic is there,” Diehm said. “We’ll figure it out and be back to winning soon.”

• Volleyball swept in Baker Invitational

Football

Wildcats dominate Missouri Valley Vikings

Sports

Hedrick accredits Baker to his success

Sports

Women’s soccer wins with two last minute goals

Men’s golf finishes 3rd at Baker Invitational

Golf

Mitchell breaks school record in opening invitational

Football

Football falls to Benedictine at homecoming

Cross Country

Cofer excels at Maple Leaf Invitational

Bowling

New sports introduced to program

Men's Soccer

Jacobs leads men’s soccer into conference play

Men’s soccer takes on University of Northwestern Ohio