Speech Center helps students overcome fear of public speaking

Story by Shelby Stephens, Photo Editor

Everyone has to speak in public from time to time, whether it’s talking to peers or presenting in front of an audience. Public speaking can cause great anxiety and concern for some students because they feel so much pressure to perform well.

With thorough preparation and practice, it is possible to overcome nervousness and perform well in front of an audience. The Speech Center strives to offer students this opportunity.

The Speech Center is has been around since 2013 and is directed by Assistant Professor of Communication Studies Kimberly Schaefer. The Speech Center opened for the fall semester on Sept. 20. Seven student consultants who have excelled in public speaking will assist other students in preparing for speeches.

“We just want to help students do their best,” Schaefer said.

Students come to the Speech Center from a variety of different classes, ranging from Quest, business and science, to get help with public speaking. Students get one-on-one tutoring from the speech consultants and get a chance to record their speeches on video camera and play it back. Also, consultants will go over the structure of the speech and answer any questions students may have.

“Students are often intimidated at first, but I think it helps you see what you look like while giving a speech and it makes you more aware of your speech and what you are going to talk about,” speech consultant Christin Smith said.

The speech center is open every Sunday through Thursday from 2 p.m. to 11 p.m. Students can sign up for an appointment online at www.bakeru.edu/ext/booking/. Appointments must be made 48 hours in advance.