Class participation causes anxiety for some students

Story by Abigaile Roorda, Writer

In college, every professor has the section on the syllabus that details point values for students. Below written assignments, daily homework, tests and presentations is the dreaded participation section.

How can a one-word, 10-point section cause so much anxiety in a student? The answer is simple: Your participation grade is defined by what each professor considers participation.

Some professors will give you participation points for simply attending class regularly, being tuned in to the conversation and appearing to have some knowledge of the material being covered. Many professors also expect every student to speak frequently in class discussions.

Speaking in a class discussion seems like a much smaller feat than a formal presentation in front of the entire class, but for some self-conscious students, every time they answer a question or put forth an idea in class they feel like they are giving a mini-presentation.

Students who enjoy public speaking and sharing their opinions in any context have very little trouble gaining participation points. Unfortunately, there are many quieter students who prefer not to speak in class or share their opinions, making the in-class participation points harder to attain.

With the definition of participation up to individual professors, shy students are sometimes forced to decide between 10 points and their immediate comfort. The point when less-vocal students must speak up can cause some of them to go into an actual state of anxiety. Their heart will race, their stomach will turn and they will feel the immediate discomfort of everyone watching them.

Even if they give the right answer, they will still feel anxiety every time they are called on simply because it’s in their personality. If it’s a trait that’s inherently within a student, how can a professor take those points away?

On the other hand, professors can’t help a student with participation points if they don’t know the situation. If your professors don’t know your situation, then they may think you aren’t paying attention, didn’t do the homework or just don’t have an interest in the class. Those scenarios will cause a professor to begin taking away points, which will impact your final class grade.

Communication is key when it comes to in-class participation. A self-conscious student should send an email or speak with professors to inform them about potential anxieties. Many professors will understand and help that student overcome it or ease his/her anxiety.