Delta Delta Delta hosts Fat Talk Free Week

Story by Abigaile Roorda, Writer

Delta Delta Delta sorority hosted its annual Fat Talk Free Week Oct. 19-22.

“It helps to promote positive body awareness,” freshman Erin Gutierrez said. “We need to not tear ourselves down.”

Sophomore Bailey Gibson helped lead many of this year’s events. She and five other Delta Delta Delta members planned and monitored the events, most of which were held in the Long Student Center.

“I think it really brings positivity to campus and puts people in a good mood,” Gibson said.

The events began on Monday with the women using sticky notes and sidewalk chalk to place positive sayings about body image all over campus. They also had students write positive adjectives on name tags to wear around campus.

On Tuesday, students were asked to sign a banner, pledging to stop the fat talk in their lives. Wednesday’s event had students writing down one negative thing about their body and then throwing it in a trash can to get rid of the negativity.

The final event, on Thursday, prompted students to take a photo in a frame that read “Love Yourself.”

“My favorite part was the name tags,” sophomore Amanda Love said. “It was easy to grab the students’ attention and spread awareness around campus.”

Love believes Fat Talk Free Week allows individuals to be free and to accept themselves for who they are because everyone is being exposed.

“Most people think it’s just about body image, but it’s also what you think about yourself,” Gibson said. “It’s mental and physical.”