‘Cats capture Heart title in men’s soccer

Story by Nathalia Barr, Managing Editor

The men will host throughout the Heart tournament. They open up the postseason with William Penn at 7 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 6, at Liston Stadium

The No. 7 men’s soccer team secured first place in the Heart of America Athletic Conference and ended the regular season with a 4-0 win over William Penn on Saturday. The senior night win put the Wildcats at 15-2-1 overall and 9-1-0 in the Heart.

Before the game, Baker honored eight seniors: Clint Chapman, Amer Didic, Robert Hoeven, Shane Hunt, Andrew Meinking, Andrew Miller, Andrew Poindexter and Austin Shiney. The men’s soccer record while this class has been on the team is 47-22-11.

Meinking was involved in all the scoring plays for the ‘Cats with three assists and the final goal. Blake Levine, Kyle Young and Keaton Anchors scored the other goals for Baker.

“It feels so great to be able to contribute to the great success our team has achieved this year,” Levine said. The sophomore forward has contributed eight goals and two assists for the ‘Cats this season.

Ryan Emme made four saves for Baker’s 11th shutout of the season.

Baker will enter the Heart tournament with a No. 1 seed in an attempt to win its third-straight championship. Baker will also host throughout the tournament.

After winning the Heart tournament last year, the ‘Cats traveled to Rio Grande to take on the No. 1 team in the country in the NAIA opening round. The season-ending loss motivated the team to come back stronger and to go further this year.

“We aren’t going to be satisfied with just winning the conference and the (Heart) conference tournament,” Levine said.

Entering a tournament with a No. 1 seed can be daunting. Some teams have difficulty keeping the right mindset, but not the Wildcats.

“We are just going to play like we have all year. We know if we do that, we will continue to win games.” Levine said.