New club sparks interest in politics

Story by Claire Sullivan, Writer

Thanks to a new campus organization, junior Michaela Jamison says she finally understands how the government and elections work.

Jamison, who is the president of the new Baker University Politics Club, said the purpose behind the club is “to spark an interest about politics again and to educate our generation so we can make a difference.”

The Politics Club began to meet informally in November and was just approved by Student Senate to become an official university organization.

The club meets weekly on Thursdays at 7 p.m. in a conference room in the Long Student Center. There are seven dues-paying members, but anybody can attend the meetings and participate in events.

Baker Politics Club holds meetings to talk about current political issues, parties and politicians. The club has a variety of goals, including:

• getting Baker students interested in politics
  • studying candidates’ positions
  • providing voter information
  • hosting guest speakers
  • raising awareness of international issues within the Baker community
  • attending international awareness events in the area.

Jamison said the club motivates her because she wants “to change the way our generation views politics.”

Senior Vice President, Andrew Meinking, said he joined “because I think forming a politics club on campus would be a good way to bring people together and allow people to learn and express their political ideas.”

Assistant Professor of International Studies Ryan Gibb is the club’s sponsor.

“I want them to have a good time, but I want them to also deepen their understanding of how they become active citizens so that no one is intimidated in doing anything in the body (of) politics or asking more questions or demanding more things from their representatives,” Gibb said.

Jamison said she hopes to “show that politics aren’t scary,” and that that she wants to help prepare her generation to make ginormous imprints on America’s future.