Softball drops pair of home games to Ottawa

Sophomore Olivia Brees.

Story by Jenna Black, Photo Editor

The softball team suffered two losses in a doubleheader against Ottawa University Monday at Cavaness Field.

The first game was scoreless for both teams until the ninth inning when Ottawa scored two runs to win the game 2-0. Ottawa then jumped on the board quickly in the second game by scoring two runs in first inning and went on to win 3-2.

The pitchers for both teams proved hard to hit. Together, freshman Olivia Brees and Ottawa’s Gabby Markham combined for a total of six hits. Brees collected 12 strikeouts in nine innings. Markham struck out nine and only gave up one hit to junior Lucy Staats.

“Olivia [Brees] pitched really well so that made us want to hit, but we weren’t as successful as we hoped,” Staats said.

In extra innings, the International Tie Breaker rule is put into play. This means that a base runner automatically starts the inning at second base. In the bottom of the eighth inning, freshman Rachael Wheeler started at second base and advanced to third on senior Ilona Miller’s sacrifice bunt. Senior Cari Vollenweider reached first base on a walk, but both runners found themselves left on base at the end of the inning. This gave Ottawa its chance in the ninth inning as Ellena Cott-Laurie hit in two runs to win the game 2-0.

Sophomore Teagan Louthan was BU’s starting pitcher for game two and pitched all seven innings. The Wildcats woke their bats up and improved to six hits in the game. Freshman Hannah Tolliver and sophomore Allie Zahn each had two hits.

The Wildcats found the bases loaded in the first inning but only plated one run. Tolliver crossed the plate and earned the Wildcats their first run of the day. Tolliver found more energy in the fourth inning to earn herself another hit that took freshman Caitlin Hardgrove to home plate to tie it up 2-2. Ottawa then rallied to score the final run of the game in the sixth inning, handing Baker a 3-2 loss.

The Wildcats have a short turnaround and are headed to the McPherson Invitational Friday and Saturday. The ‘Cats are 14-8 and will return back to Cavaness Field on March 19 to play their first Heart of America Athletic Conference game against Central Methodist University.