Sorority to host Walk a Baker Mile In Her Shoes

Alpha Chi Omega sorority is hosting its spring philanthropy event on Saturday, April 16.

This year, Alpha Chi Omega member wanted to plan an event that they have never sponsored before. Walk a Baker Mile in Her Shoes is based on the national “Walk a Mile in Her Shoes” event in which men walk in high heels in a publicity effort to help end rape, sexual assault and gender violence.

“I’m really excited to bring this new event to campus,” junior Rebecca Simkins said. “In past years it hasn’t always been easy to host an event recognizing domestic violence awareness as greatly as it should be. I’m hoping this will do the trick.”

Putting her own spin on things, Alpha Chi Omega’s philanthropy chair, sophomore Amy Wysong, has planned a walk around Baker’s campus and the Baldwin City community. The walk is a little more than a mile in distance.

“This event is important because we’re raising awareness about domestic violence,” sophomore Olivia Allen said. “I think it’s a really important cause to bring to the surface and to be talking about.”

Anyone at Baker or in the Baldwin City community is welcome to participate in the walk. Pre-registration will be available until the day of the event and the cost is $20 a person. Additionally, people are able to register the day of the event starting at 8 a.m. for $25 a person, but a T-shirt is not guaranteed.

Each individual who pre-registers will receive a T-shirt and entry into the raffle as well as snacks and drinks both before and after the walk. The walk begins at 9 a.m. at the Long Student Center.

At the end of the walk, there will be a raffle in which participants of the walk can win Roadrunners tickets, a free oil change or Royals tickets.

The remaining profit from the event will be donated to the Willow Domestic Violence Center in Lawrence. Representatives from the center are attending the walk to give a presentation about domestic violence. Wysong hopes that students will learn that it is OK to see help and that there are resources out their for anyone who is in an unhealthy relationship.

For more information or to register for the walk, contact Amy Wysong at [email protected].