Baseball loses three of four at MNU

Story by Levi Blaylock, Writer

The baseball team faced off with MidAmerica Nazarene in a four-game series Friday and Saturday in Olathe. MNU was able to get the better of the Wildcats as the Pioneers won three of the four games in the series. The Pioneers outscored the Wildcats by a total of 32 runs to 13.

After the three losses and one win, Baker dropped to 13-23 overall with a 7-11 Heart of America Athletic Conference record. MNU moves to an impressive 29-8 record overall with a 12-6 conference record, which puts the Pioneers in third place behind Avila and Grandview.

In the first game of the series, the Wildcats started off strong with two runs scored in the first inning by seniors Neal Boyce and Charlie Coleman. Going into the second inning, the score was tied 2-2. Those were the only runs that Baker would score in the 11-2 loss.

In game two, the Wildcats couldn’t seem to get their bats to wake up. They only compiled two hits on the game and were unable to turn any of those into runs in the 8-0 loss. Senior Gabe Greenbaum and Coleman were the only players for Baker with hits.

In game three, Baker called upon junior Caleb Lee to pitch the full six innings. He allowed seven hits and five runs in the game. At the plate, the Wildcats were completely shut out, getting no hits on the game. Phil Graham of MNU was the pitcher who threw the no-hitter. This was his second no-hitter of the season.

In the final game of the series, Baker was able to salvage some pride and get a win over the Pioneers. A plethora of Wildcats were able to have success at the plate as they compiled 17 hits as a team. The life at the plate led the Wildcats to an 11-8 win. Freshmen Evan Coder had his best game of the season, scoring four runs for the Wildcats.

Baker has 15 games left against four conference opponents. A strong finish here is essential to a good seed in the conference tournament at the end of the season.