Kansas history conference to be held at Baker

Story by Sarah Baker, Editor

Friday

Registration | 12:30 – 2 p.m.

Long Student Center

Session I | 1:30 – 3 p.m.

Session II | 3:15 – 4:45 p.m.

Campus Tour | 5 p.m.

Long Student Center

Dinner | 6 p.m.

Long Student Center

Saturday

Session III | 8:30 – 10 p.m.

Session IV | 10:15 – 11:45 p.m.

Business Lunch | noon – 1 p.m.

This weekend, Baker will host the 2016 Kansas Association of Historians conference for the first time since 1976. This conference has been an annual event for the past 89 years.

Baker University’s very own Associate Professor of History Leonard Ortiz is the president of the Kansas Association of Historians for this year. When a member of KAH becomes vice president, he/she automatically becomes president the following year, and each year the current president hosts the conference.

“We are excited to have it back on campus,” said Ortiz.

Chiming in, fellow history professor John Richards described the conference simply as “Nerdapalooza.”

Both Ortiz and Richards are looking forward to seeing this conference take place at Baker, especially considering the rich histories of Baker and Baldwin City.

“We are excited because of the historical significance of Baker,” Ortiz said. “In addition to having the panel presentations on Friday and Saturday . . . we are having historical tours of the campus. So we are going to have students leading people that are hear for the conference to visit the Quayle Bible Collection, Old Castle and the chapel.”

The KAH conference will bring about 90 participants to Baker from a variety of schools across Kansas, and even one from Nebraska.

The conference will begin with registration starting at noon on Friday in the Long Student Center and followed by the first of four sessions at 1:30 p.m. Each session will be given by scholars, the majority of whom are professors or others with doctorates in history, and a mix of graduate and undergraduate students.

Baker does not have any of its own students participating in this conference, although some had previously presented their works, and won at the Missouri Valley History Conference last month.

The 2016 KAH conference will conclude around noon on Saturday with a session and a KAH business meeting.