BU student no longer enrolled following sexual abuse charges

Story by Dory Smith, Multimedia Editor

A student-athlete facing charges for aggravated indecent liberties with a 14-year old child is no longer enrolled at Baker University.

Although he was still registered for fall classes as recently as last month, the registrar’s office has confirmed that the student-athlete is no longer on the list of students enrolled for the upcoming semester.

According to arrest affidavits in the Douglas County Court Records, the alleged incident took place on March 28, 2015, at the New Living Center on the Baker campus. The victim and her mother reported the incident to the Baldwin City Police Department one month later.

After a lengthy investigation, the defendant was arrested and booked on June 23, 2016, and was released on the same day.

According to a criminal complaint filed with the Douglas County District Court, the Baker student did “unlawfully and feloniously engage in an act of sexual intercourse” with a 14-year-old female.

Assistant Director of Athletics Tyler Price said the student-athlete did not attend or participate in any summer conditioning with his team and the university is aware of the severity of the accusations.

“We take these allegations very seriously and have a zero tolerance toward any sexual misconduct,” he said.

Director of Marketing and Communications Chris Smith said that the university learned of the incident a few days before the charges against the defendant were filed, and an internal university investigation for Title IX began immediately.

Dean of Students Cassy Bailey declined to discuss specifics about any particular investigation but confirmed that a recent Title IX investigation has been completed.

A preliminary hearing for the Douglas County Court case is scheduled for Oct. 20.

A Johnson County woman has been charged in Douglas County Court related to the same incident.