Men’s soccer goes 1-1 in Ohio

Story by Chad Mullen, Writer

The Baker men’s soccer team finished 1-1 on a trip to Ohio this week, defeating No. 5 Davenport 2-0 on Friday before losing to No. 18 Northwestern Ohio 1-0 on Sunday.

After losing at home to No. 25 Hastings 2-1 on Aug. 30, the No. 10 Wildcats made a statement on Friday by posting their second shutout victory of the season. Baker was helped out by a red card on Davenport goalie Aaron Orban in the 25th minute, when he kicked Wildcat junior forward Blake Levine after Orban scooped up a ball in the 18-yard goalkeeper box. Levine then scored on a penalty kick, putting the Wildcats up 2-0.

The Panthers committed 17 fouls in the game, compared to the Wildcats’ 15, and the teams were even in yellow cards with three given to each.

The first half ended with the Wildcats up 1-0, and the Wildcat defense held Davenport to just three shots, zero on goal. The Panthers were unable to get a shot on goal the entire game. The Wildcats added to the lead in the second half as sophomore Steeve Pouna scored off of a corner kick assist by freshman Peyton Brown.

The Wildcats took 10 shots in the game compared to the Panthers’ six, with three on goal. Levine and sophomore Gonnie Ben-Tal led the Wildcats with two shots each.

The Wildcats had a day of rest before taking on their third ranked opponent in a row, this time being No. 18 Northwestern Ohio. It was a defensive battle in the first half, as neither team had a shot on goal, even though both the Wildcats and the Racers had four corner kicks each in the half.

Senior Kyle Young received two yellow cards and was disqualified at the 37th minute. After staving off the Racers’ offense the entire first half, Northwestern Ohio scored quickly in the second half, just 1:44 in, as Carlos Garces Suarez scored on a Fernando Rizo assist.

The Wildcats showed their frustration in the second half, committing 13 fouls to total 25 in the game, a season-high. The Wildcats also were only able to get one opportunity on goal on a shot from senior Keaton Anchors, which was saved by the Racers’ Nikola Kahvedzic. Junior Patrick Rydberg was able to keep the Racers out of the net for the entire second half, but the Wildcat offense was never able to answer the lone goal from UNOH.

The two-game split puts the Wildcats’ overall record at 2-2. They will host Goshen College at 2:30 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 9, at Liston Stadium. The two teams also met last year, when the Wildcats took a 2-0 victory over the Maple Leafs.