Women’s soccer team earns first Heart win

Story by Nathalia Barr, Managing Editor

The women’s soccer team opened conference play on Sunday with a 3-0 road win over Clarke University, one of the newest members of the Heart. This brings the ‘Cats to 5-2 overall and 1-0 in the Heart of America Athletic Conference.

Baker dominated the entire game, taking 19 shots and keeping Clarke from any offensive efforts.

Junior goalkeeper Rachel Hunt recorded her third shutout of the season without having to make any saves.

“I didn’t have a single shot on goal because the defense kept the ball out,” Hunt said. “The only time I touched the ball was from a pass back.”

The defense was solid, and a persistent offense drove the Wildcats. Freshman Erica Esch scored her second goal of the season in the 30th minute off of an assist from junior Megan Johnson.

Freshman Jenna Lattimer put the ‘Cats on the board again just before the half ended on a corner kick from sophomore Sierra McKinney.

In the second half, senior Keeley Atkin scored her first goal of the season, assisted by senior Jessica Hillebert, which put Baker up 3-0.

Clarke’s goalkeeper Christine Piasecki made eight saves for the Crusaders, but they could not get through the Baker defense.

“It just shows that everyone out on the field was playing strong and was able to keep it in their half most of the time,” Hunt said. “The defense did a great job of keeping everything in front of them all game.”

Next up, the Wildcats take on No. 4 Benedictine at 5 p.m. on Wednesday in Atchison. Benedictine has won the Heart Conference title the past three years. Last season, the Wildcats fell to the Ravens in both matchups.

Hunt says the ‘Cats have the mindset and confidence to keep pushing their conference opponents and find their way back to the NAIA national tournament.