Student Health Center offers flu shots

Alyssa Glover

Image by Alyssa Glover.

Story by Angela Bober, Writer

Flu shots are now being offered in the Student Health Center.

“The flu shot is to decrease the risk of getting and passing on the flu to those that are physically not healthy,” Advanced Practice Registered Nurse Jody Mitchell said.

The flu shot can be either an active virus that is given in the form of a nasal spray or an inactive virus that is administered through a shot. The Student Health Center provides only the inactive form.

For students, the price to get a shot is $20, and for faculty and staff it is $25. The Student Health Center is open weekdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

“We always offer shots to faculty, staff and students,” Dean of Students Cassy Bailey said. “It is interesting because our services are just for students, but we believe so much in the flu shot that we offer it to everyone.”

Since we are not yet in the winter months, the flu virus has not yet been observed around campus.

“Usually the infectious disease doctors will declare flu season when they start to see the virus,” Mitchell said.

If students choose not to receive the vaccine Bailey recommends that they take extra care of themselves so that the sicknesses will remain at a minimum.

“Stay away from sick people, wash your hands and do not touch your face,” Mitchell said.

Even though the shots have only been available for a couple of weeks, the Student Health Center would still like to see more students come in.

“I got a flu shot this year,” freshman Maggie Pruitt said, “I got it at home because I did not have to pay anything.”

In the past, flu shots have been given as late as February.

“The flu shot does not give you the flu,” Mitchell said. “Since we start to give it around the time people get sick, that may be the reason people suffer flu-like symptoms.”

Flu sufferers will typically have a sudden fever that lasts three or more days, often including extreme fatigue and severe aches and pains.

“If you are unfortunate enough to get the flu,” Bailey said. “Please don’t spread it.”