The Student News Site of Baker University

Wrestling team hosts Dan Harris Open

Senior Josh Thomas takes control of his match during the Dan Harris Open on Nov. 6 in Collins Center. Image by Shelby Stephens.

Shelby Stephens

Shelby Stephens

Story by Chad Mullen, Writer

Eight Wildcats placed in the top four of their weight classes for the No. 15 Baker wrestling team Sunday at the Dan Harris Open.

Tyler Dickman, Victor Hughes and Dane Edwards each won their brackets in the 133, 149 and 157-pound weight classes, respectively. The defending national champion Hughes scored four pinfalls in the open, beating the unattached Tyler Hinton in the first-place match via fall in 4:30. His performance earned Hughes the Heart of America Athletic Conference Wrestler of the Week honor.

Dickman had three falls out of his four victories on the day, his quickest pin coming in just 1:06 in the second round of the bracket. Edwards went 5-0, with one decision, two major decisions and two falls.

Jacob Smith and Conner Watanabe finished second and third respectively in the 184-pound class for the Wildcats. Smith and Watanabe faced off in the fourth round of the bracket, with Smith defeating Watanabe in a 3-2 decision.

Zane Baugh placed third in the 125-pound bracket, losing only to eventual winner Mike Brown in the opening round. Josh Thomas also lost to the first-place finisher of his bracket in the 165-pound weight class, but won three other matches to finish third in his bracket.

John Hughes took second in the 174-pound class, picking up two pins and a decision before losing to Barton Community College’s David Kelly in the first-place match.

After a successful showing at the Baker-hosted Dan Harris Open, the Wildcats will travel to the Brand-Kaufman Open Saturday in St. Louis, Missouri, hosted by NCAA Division II Maryville University.

• Wrestling team hosts Dan Harris Open

Men's Soccer

Soccer earns two against Graceland

• Wrestling team hosts Dan Harris Open

Men's Soccer

No. 12 Baker defeats Clarke 2-0 in Heart opener

• Wrestling team hosts Dan Harris Open

Sports

Women’s soccer earns first win

• Wrestling team hosts Dan Harris Open

Football

Football dominates at Homecoming

• Wrestling team hosts Dan Harris Open

Football

Clark trades soccer past for football future

• Wrestling team hosts Dan Harris Open

Sports

Women’s soccer begins new season

• Wrestling team hosts Dan Harris Open

Football

No. 2 Wildcats hold on to defeat No. 23 William Penn 31-27

• Wrestling team hosts Dan Harris Open

Spirit Squad

Baker cheer spans three generations for graduating senior

• Wrestling team hosts Dan Harris Open

Softball

Softball season ends in Heart Tourney

• Wrestling team hosts Dan Harris Open

Golf

Women’s golf ready for Heart Tourney