Big Event to inspire students to volunteer in Baldwin City

Story by Angela Bober, Writer

Baker students will have the opportunity to give back to the community by participating in the Big Event on April 22.

The Big Event is a day of volunteering at Habitat for Humanity, Midland Railway, Rainbow Experience Preschool, Homespun Hill Farm, Worden United Methodist Church and United Way of Douglas County, as well as for individuals in the Baldwin City community.

“The Big Event is basically one big day of volunteer service that students are given the opportunity and presented with opportunities to volunteer in their communities to give back to those around them,” sophomore and Big Event coordinator Emily Riggs said, “especially the people and organizations that support Baker so much throughout the year.”

This year’s Big Event is slightly different. Instead of having multiple times throughout the day, all volunteering will be from 8 a.m. to noon. The event is also more geared toward those within Baldwin City.

“I think it’s a great opportunity to give back to the community and interact on a different level,” Assistant Director of Student Life Josh Doak said. “This is actually hands-on connection with people, and all the locations have the business employees there so that (students) can interact with what those businesses are doing.”

Doak said that the Big Event offers students the chance to develop community connections, both on personal and business levels.

Students will get a chance to gain connections and see how their actions are helping out those around them.

“It brings us together because it shows that Baker cares about Baldwin and Baldwin cares about Baker,” freshman Darian Eddy said.

The event is open to all students. To participate, follow this link to sign up. All who participate will receive a free T-shirt and food.

“It’s a really easy day,” Riggs said. “It is not a lot of work as far as preparation for it goes. You just show up with a good attitude and help out for a few hours.”