Alpha Chi Omega awarded National Council Trophy

Lexi Loya

Active Omicron Chapter President Amy Wysong accepts the National Council Trophy from Alpha Chi Omega National President Angela Costley Harris on Aug. 13. The sorority women were pleasantly surprised when both the former national president of Alpha Chi Omega, Diane Blackwelder, and the current president, Costley Harris showed up to present this award to their chapter.

Story by Spencer Brown, Assistant News Editor

The Omicron chapter of Alpha Chi Omega at Baker University recently received the highest honor from its national organization: the National Council Trophy. It is one of only three chapters to be recognized with the award for its 2016 efforts and accomplishments.

“It’s a priceless feeling to be a part of this chapter,” active Chapter President Amy Wysong said. “It is really exciting to get the award because it’s a good reminder of how the chapter is doing. However, it is also an incentive to keep working hard.”

The assessment process is an annual activity for every Alpha Chi Omega chapter around the country. To become eligible for the trophy, however, chapters are required to complete all 13-award categories. A selection committee then selects three chapters based on institution size.

From accreditation applications on risk management to ones on chapter advisors, the selection is “based on the events and practices [the chapter] had executed,” former Chapter President Caylea Siler said. “It is the highest award a collegiate chapter can receive, and it recognizes chapters that exemplify Alpha Chi Omega ideals and standards.”

The women of Alpha Chi Omega pose with the National Council Trophy outside their chapter house. President Lynne Murray also joined the women to congratulate them on their award. Photo courtesy of Alpha Chi Omega.

Though having received notification of the designation in June, Alpha Chi’s co-Chapter Advisors, Rachel Shuck and Jen Upton, had to keep it a secret from the members until the official ceremony in August. Here, National President Angela Costley Harris joined former National President Diane Blackwelder, an Omicron alumna, and Baker President Lynne Murray in presenting the trophy to the active chapter.

“The last time the chapter won the award was in 2010, and I was a collegiate member then,” Shuck said. “I’ll never forget that experience, and to be able to experience being the National Council Trophy winners as an advisor was just exhilarating.”

This award comes after Baker University Fraternity and Sorority Life was recognized as the number three “Best College for Greek Life” by Best College Reviews last spring. Wysong and Siler both noted the impact the supportive Baker community constantly has on Omicron’s success at the national level.

“For Omicron, it shows that even though we are a small chapter on a small campus, we still stand out among over 140 chapters nationwide,” Siler said. “It’s nice to know that nationally, Omicron is a name to remember.”

Shuck believes that it additionally demonstrates the influence and continued involvement of chapter officers, other advisory board members, alumnae and Alpha Chi’s House Corporation Board.

“While this award recognizes the chapter for one year, it really is a culmination of many years of hard work and dedication,” Shuck said. “We always like to say that while our chapter is small, we sure are mighty, and I think this award proves that.”