No. 12 Baker defeats Clarke 2-0 in Heart opener

Story by Bailey Conklin, Sports Editor

Despite a lightning delay causing the game to end in the 73rd minute, the No. 12 Wildcats opened Heart of America Athletic Conference play with a 2-0 win over Clark University in the final Homecoming game at Liston Stadium Saturday night.

Baker powered over the Pride throughout the entirety of the game with nine shots in the first half and eight shots in the second.

Just 22 seconds into the game, junior Steeve Pouna scored the first goal of the match for the Wildcats, his second of the season.

The Wildcats did not capitalize on another opportunity until the beginning of the second half when junior Joe Houlihan scored in the 46th minute, extending Baker’s lead to 2-0 against the Pride. Houlihan led the ‘Cats with five shots, followed by junior Austin Halsey with four and Pouna with three.

Baker freshman goalkeeper Alberto Ciroi earned his second shutout of the week, while Clarke goalkeeper Michael Lubahn allowed two goals and earned five saves.

With Baker’s first conference win of the season, the Wildcats improve to 5-1-1 overall heading into Wednesday’s game against Graceland University.

The Yellowjackets are currently 2-3-1 for the season and searching for their first conference victory of the season.

Baker will face Graceland at 7:30 p.m. on Sept. 20 at Liston Stadium.