Soccer continues Heart winning streak

Story by Bailey Conklin, Sports Editor

Men’s Soccer

It took a big second half from the Baker men’s soccer team to defeat Grand View 4-3 on the road Saturday afternoon.

The Wildcats were able to continue their unbeaten streak in the Heart conference by scoring three goals in the second half after trading goals in the first half.

The Vikings were the first to score in the in the 13th minute. Grand View freshman Caludio Repetto was able to fire one past Baker goalkeeper Alberto Ciroi assisted by sophomore Mattia Giangrande.

Junior Austin Halsey was able to tie up the game for the Wildcats with a goal of his own in the 14th minute.

At the end of the first half Baker and Grand View were tied 1-1.

A foul committed by Baker led to a penalty kick opportunity for the Vikings that ended up giving them the 2-1 lead in the 54th minute.

Junior Joe Houlihan was able to put the Wildcats back on top after back-to-back goals in the 71st and 72nd minute. Halsey assisted Houlihan on the first goal and senior Blake Levine picked up the assist on the second. Houlihan now has four goals for the season.

Grand View fired back with a goal in the 77th minute from a breakaway scored by senior David Gomez, tying up the match 3-3.

As time wound down in the second half, junior Gonnie Ben-Tal was able to find the back of the Vikings’ net off of an assist from junior Jordan Evans, putting Baker up 4-3 with twelve minutes left to play.

The Wildcats were able to hold the Vikings off for the rest of the match, earning the road victory and improving to 7-1-1 for the season. This also marks the third-straight Heart conference victory for the ‘Cats.

Baker will continue to compete on the road and face Mount Mercy at 4:30 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 30 in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

Women’s Soccer

The Baker women’s soccer team defeated the Grand View Vikings 2-1 Saturday night in Des Moines, Iowa.

It was with a late goal from sophomore Jenna Lattimer that helped propel the Wildcats to their third-straight Heart victory in the 87th minute.

Baker was the first to score in the game, gaining the lead right before halftime. Junior Maria Flores Tome was able to capitalize on a corner kick, assisted by junior Sadie Harper. This marked Harper’s first assist and Tome’s first goal of the season.

Baker owned the first half with 11 shots to Grand View’s zero.

In the second half, the Vikings’ Christine Vandenberg was able to score an equalizer in the 70th minute, assisted by Morgan Block.

Baker and Grand View were preparing to head into overtime, when Lattimer scored off an assist from senior Megan Johnson, giving Baker the 2-1 lead and earning the Wildcats’ third-straight victory.

The women’s soccer team is now 3-3-2 as the team heads into its next road game against the Mount Mercy Mustangs. The Wildcats will play at 2 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 30 in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.