Student meetings held in ‘The Den’

Elizabeth Hanson

The Den is located in the basement of the Long Student Center. This year, Mungano and Student Senate meetings will take place here. *The mural has since been painted over.

Story by Aradaisia Walker, Writer

On campus, we have meeting spaces for students, staff and faculty, but a hidden gem has been uncovered. In the basement of the Long Student Center, there is a room that was previously called “The Den.” It has not been occupied for years and has now been restored for the usage of students.

In the past, the area formally known as The Den was a recreational space for students that included a pool table, games and a TV. The area is now going to be used as a meeting space for student organizations.

“It’s important for student organizations to have a space conducive to brainstorming and interactive collaboration,” Randy Flowers, director of student life, said.

This area will primarily be used by groups such as Mungano, Student Senate, the Student Activities Council and other organizations. The meeting area has tables and chairs that can accommodate 32 individuals and potentially more if needed.

“Having conversation in the area that use to be The Den makes discussion more relaxed compared to having a meeting in a classroom,” freshman Cheleia Marshall said.

The Den will be receiving a small makeover, which includes a paint job for the older walls along with a good carpet cleaning. The Den was determined to not be renovated into a recreational space because those accommodations have already been implemented in the residence halls.

“I think it is great to see an area re-purposed and dedicated to student organizations so that we can have our own space here on campus. It shows that at least one need of student organizations is being met,” junior Karla Guzman said.

There are efforts being made to make student organizations feel more comfortable in conducting their business. The Den served its purpose as a recreational space, but will now serve as a centralized meeting space for all current and future student organizations.