Cross Country competes in Lawrence

The men’s and women’s cross country teams traveled to Lawrence to compete in the Haskell Indian Nations University Invitational on Oct. 7. Senior Rosie Hollis placed 15th individually and led the women to a fourth-place finish. Freshman Camille Henderson, sophomore Janeane Hernandez, junior Jenna Black and freshman Peyton Oden rounded out the top five for the women’s team.

Sophomore Greg Flores earned a fourth-place individual finish and carried the men’s team to fifth place. Senior Joe Linder and freshman Liam Barnsby were close behind in ninth and 11th place respectively. Freshman Drew Cook and junior Cole Stallard also contributed with top-five performances.

The Wildcats prepare for the Mount Mercy Stampede in Cedar Rapids, Iowa on Oct. 21.

• Women's collegiate runners take off at the sound of the starting gun for the first race of the day at the Haskell Indian Nations University Invitational on Oct. 7. Along with the two collegiate races, Haskell welcomed area high school teams as well.

• Senior Rosie Hollis runs alongside a runner from Rockhurst University. The women ran a 5 kilometer (3.1 miles) race. Their run was less muddy than the men's, but several runners still slipped and fell during the competition. Hollis finished as the top runner for the Baker women's team, earning 15th place overall.

• Freshman Camille Henderson finished 18th, three places behind senior Rosie Hollis. Henderson has consistently been the number one or two runner for the team. Henderson medaled along with Hollis and sophomore Janeane Hernandez. The women finished fourth as a team.

• Freshman Liam Barnsby finished the race in 11th place. This race provided him with the first medal of his collegiate career. The top twenty runners in each race received medals. Each medal is hand crafted and painted.

• Junior Cole Stallard and senior Johnny Fulkerson run through the muddiest part of Saturday's course. Runners passed this part of Haskell's historic Billy Mills trail three times during the men's 8 kilometer (4.97 miles) race. Fulkerson and Stallard ran together for the majority of the race, but Stallard pushed ahead finishing 43rd with Fulkerson slightly behind finishing 57th.

• At the start of every race, the men huddle together for final words before toeing the line. Senior Joe Linder always gives a small speech to his teammates to make sure everyone is ready to race.