Soccer defeats Evangel at home

Story by Bailey Conklin, Sports Editor

Women’s Soccer

The Baker women’s soccer team defeated Evangel in a 2-0 shutout victory Wednesday night at Liston Stadium.

The Wildcats victory against Crusaders is their first win this month, after a string of ties and losses against Heart opponents.

Both teams remained scoreless in the first 45 minutes. Baker senior goalkeeper Rachel Hunt recorded two saves, while the Baker offense tallied eight shots in the first half to Evangel’s three.

It wasn’t until the 69th minute that Baker was able to gain the lead with a goal by junior Sierra McKinney assisted by freshman Kara Knapp.  This was both McKinney’s first goal of the season and Knapp’s first assist of her college career.

The Wildcats were quick to extend their lead in the 73rd minute with a goal from senior Kady Dieringer assisted by senior Megan Johnson.

The ‘Cats made it a tough day for Evangel’s goalkeeper Josie Gregory who had six saves during the game. Baker had 12 shots in the second, totaling 20 shots total for the match.

Hunt recorded two more saves in the second half for the Wildcats, earning the shutout victory for the evening.

With the Wildcat victory, Baker is now 5-2-2 in the Heart conference and 5-5-4 overall.

The Wildcats hope to keep the pace as they prepare to face Avila on Senior Night at 6 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 20 at Liston Stadium.

Men’s Soccer

The Baker men’s soccer team bounced back after its loss to William Penn with a 5-1 win against Evangel University Wednesday night.

The Wildcats’ 2-1 overtime loss to William Penn was their first Heart conference loss of the season. The ‘Cats used the loss the help motivate them in their crushing victory over the Crusaders.

Evangel was the first to score against the Wildcats in the 9th minute. Senior John De La Torre was able to get one past Baker sophomore goalkeeper Alberto Ciroi, giving the Crusaders a 1-0 advantage early in the match.

Baker began their scoring efforts in the 12th minute with a goal by junior Cory Mitchell, assisted by junior Steeve Pouna. This was Mitchell’s second goal of the year, his first coming in the very first game of the season against Ottawa.

Senior Blake Levine led the team to its next two goals, scoring in the 23rd minute and again in the 41st minute. Levine’s second goal was assisted by sophomore Joah Hickel.

The Wildcats scored two more goals in the second half sealing their victory. Junior Austin Halsey scored in the 69th minute followed by junior Joe Houlihan scoring in the 81st minute.

In goal for Baker, Ciroi played the first 71 minutes in goal earning 2 saves. Senior Nick Riggle completed the final 19 minutes in goal for the Wildcats.

Baker is now 8-1 in conference play and 12-2-1 overall. The Wildcats sit alone at the top of the Heart men’s soccer standings.

The ‘Cats will now face Avila for Senior Night at 8:30 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 20 at Liston Stadium.