Baker Serves hosts Trunk or Treat

Story by Madison Nedved, BU Student Media

Baker Serves is hosting Trunk or Treat on High Street in downtown Baldwin City this Halloween. The main idea behind Trunk or Treat is to give local children and families a safe place to trick or treat since Baldwin City’s homes are widely distributed and spread out. This event is especially accommodating to families who live on farms because it gives their kids a chance to trick or treat in a safe, central location.

“This event provides a safe space to go trick-or-treating [so] parents don’t have to worry about strangers or traffic and they can let their kids go from trunk to trunk and don’t feel as if their kids are out of sight or in danger,” Gracie Benton, vice president of Baker Serves, said.

Baker Serves hopes to bring the university and the community together for this family event to raise awareness and donations for their other service project this month, Socktober.

“Socktober is a campaign to have socks donated to be given to the homeless. Socks are the most-needed, but least-given item that shelters need. This project began [with] Kid President who he promotes through Soul Pancake,” Baker Serves president Madison Lutz said.

Baker Serves partners with the Baldwin City Chamber of Commerce to make this event a success. Baker Serves member Kasey Oehlert said that along with the Chamber of Commerce, Baker Serves is partnering with businesses, Fraternity and Sorority Life organizations and sports teams to create more decorated cars and help this night be a success.

Elizabeth Hanson
Senior Kena Metzger walked around dressed in costume and handed out candy to trick-or-treaters. Trunk or treat was shut down early due to cold temperatures.

“The Baldwin City Library is making a Candyland activity for the kids, the Lumberyard Arts Center puts on a haunted house and other businesses in the area are either creating trunks or letting kids trick or treat throughout their storefront,” Lutz said.

Last year, the community loved the event and appreciated having the university put on an event like this and get involved.

“I think the parents thought that their kids really enjoyed it and the fact that the college students wanted to get involved and help the community. Each car has a theme, so last year the car decorated for Teenage Mutant Ninja’s students were interacting with the kids and doing ninja moves,” Benton said.

Baker Serves wants to make a lasting impact on the community in order to show the positive impact that the university can have on the town.

This is the second year that Baker Serves is hosting Trunk or Treat and they hope that this year will be even better than last year. High Street will be blocked off for this event and they hope to have 40 cars for kids to trick or treat from. The event will be from 5:30-8 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 31 in downtown Baldwin City.

About the Photographers
Elizabeth Hanson, Editor

Elizabeth is a junior from Leawood. She enjoys black-and-white photography and landscapes. She is a public relations and spanish double-major and also...

Maria Echeverry, Graphics Editor

Maria Echeverry is a senior from Bogota, Colombia. She is majoring in graphic design. She plays soccer and in her free time she likes to watch movies.

• Baker Serves hosts Trunk or Treat

Students bring back leadership skills from conference

• Baker Serves hosts Trunk or Treat

Enrollment requires more student housing

• Baker Serves hosts Trunk or Treat

University offers alternative health care services

• Baker Serves hosts Trunk or Treat

‘Forever Orange’ campaign continues to fundraise

• Baker Serves hosts Trunk or Treat

El Patron expands to better serve customers

• Baker Serves hosts Trunk or Treat

Maple Leaf Festival brings huge crowds to city

• Baker Serves hosts Trunk or Treat

Baker 360° takes over SPGS

• Baker Serves hosts Trunk or Treat

New policy aims at preventing academic misconduct

• Baker Serves hosts Trunk or Treat

Pocket Points offers benefits to students

• Baker Serves hosts Trunk or Treat

Burglars break into cars on and near campus