Quarterfinal loss marks end of women’s soccer season

Story by Bailey Conklin, Sports Editor

The Baker women’s soccer team’s season came to an end Saturday after falling to Benedictine 3-1 in the quarterfinals of the Heart of America Athletic Conference Tournament.

Benedictine was the first to score in the Heart rival matchup. Benedictine senior midfielder Rosie McShane earned a penalty kick after a Baker foul in the box, leading to Baker trailing 1-0 after the 26th minute.

The Wildcats were held to just two shots in the first half compared to Benedictine’s eight. The Ravens’ offensive dominance continued into the second half as the team recorded 12 more shots, while Baker had just one.

Benedictine was able to extend its lead in the 72nd minute with a goal from sophomore Emily Ambuul assisted by senior Madison Sanders. Ambuul’s thirteenth goal of the season put the Ravens up 2-0 against Baker.

Ravens junior forward Anna Romano’s goal in the 83rd minute assisted by McShane was Benedictine’s last goal of the night extending the team’s lead to 3-0 against the Wildcats.

With just three minutes left in the season for Baker, junior Allyson Hertig put one past Benedictine goalkeeper Ellen Loughman shortening the Ravens lead to 3-1.

The Wildcats weren’t able to keep the offensive fire alive for the final minutes of the match, handing Benedictine a victory in Atchison, Kansas.

Senior goalkeeper Rachel Hunt recorded seven saves during the match, her second game in a row with seven saves.

The Wildcats end their season with a 7-8-4 record, while the Ravens advance to the semifinals against Missouri Valley.