Wrestling goes 2-0 in Graceland and Benedictine duals

Baker's Colby Johnson takes on Benedictine's Austin Roper in the 149-pound match up. Baker defeated Benedictine with a score of 34-19.

Justin Toumberlin

Justin Toumberlin

Story by Bailey Conklin, Sports Editor

The Baker University wrestling team earned two first-place victories in hosting both the Graceland Dual and Benedictine Dual inside the Collins Center this past week.

The Wildcats first opened their season by defeating the Yellowjackets 24-20. Baker started the dual with three straight losses in the 125-pound, 133-pound and 141-pound matches.

Freshman Colby Johnson earned the first win for the Wildcats with a 4-2 decision in the 149-pound match. Senior Dane Edwards brought Baker its second win with a 7-3 decision in the 157-pound match.

With four matches left, the Wildcats trailed late in the Graceland Dual. Two Baker sophomores and two seniors rallied against the Yellowjackets earning the victory for the ‘Cats.

Sophomore Lucas Lovvorn pinned Graceland’s Gabe Gonzalez after 20 seconds in the 174-pound match earning the victory, followed by senior Zachary Balden defeating Jonathan Juarez in the 184-pound match in a 2-1 decision.

Reigning NAIA All-American David Dow pinned DeMarco Mosley in just 24 seconds in the 197-pound match earning Baker’s third win in a row. Senior Kyle Atwood defeated Ryan Paige in a 7-2 decision in the 185-pound match, earning the Wildcats last win of the night and topping Graceland to earn the victory in the home dual.

The ‘Cats took on Benedictine in their second dual of the week, defeating the Ravens 34-19.

Benedictine left the 125-pound and 133-pound slot open, allowing Baker to take an early lead in the dual.

The Ravens rallied, earning victories in four matches in a row in the 141-pound, 149-pound, 157-pound and 165-pound classes.

The Wildcats ended the dual with four victories, including one open slot that Benedictine left in the 197-pound match.

Lovvorn pinned Benedictine’s Kaleb Mitchell in 26 seconds in the 175-pound match. Sophomore Jacob Smith won on a 12-3 major decision against Anthony Mabery and Dow pinned Jordan Favela in 1:27 in the 285-pound match.

After two first-place finishes in duals at home, the Wildcats will now prepare to travel to the Doane Open on Saturday in Crete, Nebraska.

• Wrestling goes 2-0 in Graceland and Benedictine duals

Men's Soccer

Jacobs leads men’s soccer into conference play

Track finishes season by hosting conference meet

Sports

Joyner: Sportscaster of the year

Sports

Track honors coach Zach Kindler with meet

Sports

Tennis ends season at conference

Softball

Softball earns best record in history

Golf

Men’s golf finishes sixth in the Heart

Sports

Baker falls to MVC to end regular season

Baseball

Central Methodist sweeps Baker

Softball

Softball splits with Benedictine