‘The Handmaid’s Tale:’ The new go-to dystopian story

Story by Jamie Pellikaan, Writer

Step aside “Hunger Games” because the new go-to dystopian story everyone should be watching is Hulu’s original show, “The Handmaid’s Tale.” Filled with intrigue, drama and a healthy dose of social commentary this show is bound to get any viewers full attention minutes into the first episode.

It is set in the totalitarian nation the Republic of Gilead, which was created after the destruction of the United States. “The Handmaid’s Tale” focuses on Offred (Elizabeth Moss), a woman who has been forced into sexual servitude by the leaders of Gilead.

Widespread pollution in the world has led to the lowering of fertility rates and thus, a lowering in population in all countries. Gilead was founded by a religious sect who believed this was God’s punishment for society’s deviant behavior.

Offred, like the other handmaids in the series, is one of the few women who can carry a child to term and because of this they are gathered up and sent to various leaders of Gilead houses to become impregnated through non-consensual means.

The show is based on the 1985 novel by Margaret Atwood of the same name and readers of the novel will find similarities between the show’s first season and the book. However, since the first season left off where the book ended, season two will be based on the book’s ideas only.

Though the subject of the show sounds rather intense for a casual night of watching television, it is worth the time to see. Not only is the overall plot and writing of the show superb, with each episode leaving the viewer’s wanting more, but the cinematography and set/costume design create scenes filled with symbolism and astonishment.

Every detail down to costume design comes together in each scene of “The Handmaid’s Tale” to create a tapestry of storytelling found nowhere else on television.

“The Handmaid’s Tale” has not gone unnoticed by the critics either and managed to win 10 awards at both the Emmy’s and the Golden Globes. Among those awards was the Emmy for “Outstanding Drama Series” and the Golden Globe for “Best Television Series-Drama”.

Elizabeth Moss also won “Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series” for her portrayal of Offred and Alexis Bledel won “Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series” for her role as Offglen, another handmaid in the series.

“The Handmaid’s Tale” is only available through Hulu and all episodes of season one are currently on. Season two, however, will not be available until April 25.

About the Writer
Jamie Pellikaan, Writer
Jaime Pellikaan is a sophomore from Olathe, Kansas and is a writer for the Baker Orange staff. She’s majoring in Mass Media and History. Some of her interests include astronomy, history, and reading fantasy books.
  • ‘The Handmaid’s Tale:’ The new go-to dystopian story

Arts & Entertainment

‘The Nun’ falls short of expectations

Arts & Entertainment

Concert crazy: Hemingson and Todden attend multiple events each year

Arts & Entertainment

Battlefront II attempts to redeem reputation

Arts & Entertainment

Theatre department prepares for semester

Arts & Entertainment

‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ season 2 released

Arts & Entertainment

Midnight Sun: movie review

Arts & Entertainment

Dodging performs at Lawrence’s Jazzhaus

Arts & Entertainment

Students explore directing in TH476

Arts & Entertainment

Love, Simon: movie review

Arts & Entertainment

‘The Trojan Women’ explores traditional female roles