Health check-in opportunities offered to community

Baker University and Baldwin City are hosting the 17th-annual Community Wellness Festival on April 7. The event will be held at the Collins Center from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.

The event is sponsored by the Baldwin City Recreation Commission and Baker University.

“There are around 60 vendors at the event,” Sherri Pahcoddy, coordinator of student health and counseling centers and coordinator for the wellness festival, said. “Some vendors are regulars while others are brand new.”

Screenings offered by medical professionals on site include blood pressure, posture check, body fat, bone density, hearing, vision, dental, blood donation, car seat-checks and mammograms. All of these screenings are free except for mammograms, where insurance will be accepted.

According to Assistant Professor of Biology Danielle Hemingson, the festival is meant to “bring awareness about personal health” to Baldwin’s Community.

This year there will be a 5K run or walk in memory of Daniel J. DeAno, a community member who died from suicide. For this reason, the walk is meant to provide awareness about mental health and depression.

Many Baker students, especially those involved in the Exercise Science Student Alliance or ESSA, help out with the health fair.

“Last year was my first year I’m more involved this year with helping,” sophomore and secretary of ESSA Michaela Stompoly said. “We had to help figure out where tables in the gym should go and have been trying to get students to come volunteer.”

Every year the exercise science students also help set up before the event.

“We couldn’t do it without ESSA, the vendors love that the kids come and help,” Pahcoddy said. “We try and make the event better every year.”

The first 250 guests to arrive at the event will receive a free T-shirt. Prizes will also be drawn every 15 minutes.

For more information about the day or to register for the 5K visit bakeru.edu/healthfair/.