Midnight Sun: movie review

Story by Angela Bober, Writer

“Midnight Sun” a romantic drama movie, hit theaters on March 23, grossing $7.7 million by Easter Sunday. Rotten Tomatoes gave the film an 18 percent, however, audience members rated it at 49 percent. The movie is based on a Japanese film of the same name.

The film follows Katie (Bella Thorne), a housebound teenager who suffers from xeroderma pigmentosum. This condition causes her to have a sensitivity to sunlight, meaning she can only go outside at night. From her window, she watches her neighbor Charlie (Patrick Schwarzenegger), and one night Charlie sees Katie playing her guitar and from there, their love story blossoms. Katie and Charlie embark on adventures, even though he has no idea of her condition.

Other cast members introduced throughout the film include Rob Riggle as Katie’s father Jack and Quinn Shephard as Morgan. In the movie, Jack pushes Katie to admit the truth to Charlie, even though she is determined to keep it a secret.

Director Scott Speer successfully combines happiness and sadness. Some parts will make you cry, while others will make you laugh out loud. Each moment is captivating, and when Katie and Charlie speak to each other you feel as if you are with them. In a way, you become a part of their love story.

Another strong aspect of this movie is depicting what life is like with xeroderma pigmentosum. It shows side effects of what even a short amount of time in the sun can do. In a sense, it is similar to the movie “Everything, Everything” that also has a storyline involving a sickly, housebound teen falling in love.

Although romantic dramas can sometimes be a bust, the plot of this movie is unique and exciting. Each character brings a specific characteristic to the movie no matter the situation.

Overall, “Midnight Sun” is a heartwarming movie that shows the hardships of young love. Even though some parts might be a bit cheesy, it’s dramatic aspect makes it unique and not like every other typical love story. Those who love a romantic movie will be satisfied.

• Midnight Sun: movie review

Arts & Entertainment

‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ season 2 released

• Midnight Sun: movie review

Arts & Entertainment

Dodging performs at Lawrence’s Jazzhaus

• Midnight Sun: movie review

Arts & Entertainment

Students explore directing in TH476

• Midnight Sun: movie review

Arts & Entertainment

Love, Simon: movie review

• Midnight Sun: movie review

Arts & Entertainment

‘The Trojan Women’ explores traditional female roles

• Midnight Sun: movie review

Arts & Entertainment

Binge-worthy: 5 shows to stream besides ‘The Office’

• Midnight Sun: movie review

Arts & Entertainment

‘The Handmaid’s Tale:’ The new go-to dystopian story

• Midnight Sun: movie review

Arts & Entertainment

Comedian Jenny Zegrino cracks up students

• Midnight Sun: movie review

Arts & Entertainment

‘The Trojan Women’

• Midnight Sun: movie review

Arts & Entertainment

SAC hosts The Professional Regurgitator