Professor maintains passion for art

Professor maintains passion for art

Sophomore Erynne Jamison works on her ceramic birdhouse with the assistance of Professor Inge Balch.Balch spends several hours a day in the Bennett Art building teaching and firing students pieces

Lily Stephens

Lily Stephens

Lily Stephens

Story by Brenna Thompson, News Editor

“I’m a piece of inventory by now, I’ve been here so many years,” Professor of Art Inge Balch chuckled, her beaded necklace, striped sweater and purple glasses emphasizing her zealous and youthful spirit, her creativity and her artistry.

Balch came to the United States in 1961, with no plan, higher education or career path.

“I took a job and a freighter to see the world and find the streets paved with gold … I’m still looking,” Balch jokingly said.

After working as a nanny for several years, she got a job offer as a design researcher in San Francisco, but never made it out to the west coast. She met her husband on the way, flipping burgers at a bowling alley for extra cash.

After completing her undergraduate at Kansas State University and her masters at the University of Kansas, where she specialized in textiles and ceramics, she took a replacement position in Baldwin City.

When Balch came to Baker in the fall of 1988 as interim art professor she only planned on staying a semester, yet 30 years later you can still find her peering over a kiln in Bennett Art building, a place she now refers to as her “home away from home.”

The building itself was only supposed to be standing for, at the longest, 20 years.

“It’s falling apart,” Balch said.

Yet it has been a creative haven, fostering artistic passion and releasing students’ stress for       three decades.

Balch has taught a wide variety of diverse cultures, majors and personalities, and cherishes the memories she has, the relationships she’s made and the students she    has influenced.

In the 90s, Balch vividly remembers Taiwanese and Japanese foreign exchange students, who she developed a sincere bond with.

“They were here for the arts,” Balch said. “I would come in the morning and have to step over sleeping bodies.”

These are the relationships and communication that keeps Balch just as enthusiastic and eager to spend day after day between clay covered cement walls and paint-splattered floors.

“Every day is fond—it’s a new adventure, a new person,” Balch said. “What more could I ask for?”

Thirty years, hundreds of art pieces and one old art building later, Balch refuses to let her passion fade and is driven to encourage confidence and independence in the young adults she teaches.

When asked how long she plans to continue her legacy on campus, Balch said she plans on staying until “they carry me out feet first.”

Contrary to her warm sarcasm, Balch said she truly doesn’t know when her journey here will be over. Until then, Balch will stand as a symbol of encouragement, imagination and a zeal for life and learning.

About the Photographer
Lily Stephens, Multimedia/A&E Editor

Lily Stephens is a junior public relations major. She has a passion for reporting and creating. Currently she is the Multimedia/A&E Editor for the...

• Professor maintains passion for art

Spirit Squad

Dance team welcomes only male member

• Professor maintains passion for art

Arts & Entertainment

Baker symphonic band brings new life to winter concert

• Professor maintains passion for art

Uncategorized

Nation grapples with dangers of climate change

• Professor maintains passion for art

‘BUGS’ provides stress relief

• Professor maintains passion for art

ParMentors give back to community

• Professor maintains passion for art

Arts & Entertainment

Top Five ‘Role Playing Game’ videogames

• Professor maintains passion for art

Football

Wildcats dominate Missouri Valley Vikings

• Professor maintains passion for art

Students bring back leadership skills from conference

• Professor maintains passion for art

Enrollment requires more student housing

• Professor maintains passion for art

University offers alternative health care services