Fraternity recruitment changes set in place

Sydney Jo Boaz

Members of Sigma Phi Epsilon pose in front of their house on Sixth Street across from campus. Sig Ep is the Kansas Alpha chapter, making them the first chapter established in the state. The fraternity welcomed 20 new members into their brotherhood this fall recruitment.

Story by Lily Stephens, Multimedia Editor

This 2018 recruitment year fraternities had a change to their regular recruiting schedule due to sports schedules. While no rules changed, the structure of events created buzz around campus and confusion for initiated members in the four fraternities at Baker.  

Traditionally, recruitment has started on the first day of class, a Wednesday, with the potential new members accepting their bids on that Saturday. Events in previous years took place on Wednesday through Friday. This year the events began on a Sunday and potential new members accepted bids on Wednesday.  

President of Delta Tau Delta Houston Chinn said, “I have no real problem with the new structure, I do prefer last year’s structure though.”

One of the reasons Chinn prefers the previous year’s structure is “that it makes more sense logistically.” Typically, bid day is the same day as the first home football game. President of Zeta Chi Cole Stallard says he would also prefer returning to the old schedule and that having both events take place on the same day is “truly electric.”

Stallard said, “I can’t say that I’m a fan of the new system because I have been accustomed to a particular way. The new change has forced me, along with the rest of Zeta Chi, to get out of our comfort zone.” 

While Sigma Phi Epsilon, Zeta Chi, Kappa Sigma and Delta Tau Delta were all accustomed to the old schedule, they kept their events similar and relaxed. All four really focused on getting to know the men coming to their homes in an organic way.  

President of Sigma Phi Epsilon Conner Petty said on behalf of his chapter that they “were indifferent in terms to the structure as [they] were willing to put [themselves] in the best position no matter the dates or rules.”  

Unlike sororities, fraternities have a much more relaxed recruitment. All potential new members do not have to register through the university to go through recruitment, they are only required to visit every house during house tours and have the choice to go to all other events open-house style. This is due to the lack of structure in recruitment rules for fraternities nationally.  

President of Kappa Sigma Thomas Graham spoke to the style of the process saying, “our recruitment structure is nice because it gives us freedom and allows us to show off a lot of different things about our house.”

Petty and Stallard both spoke about the national stigma fraternities face when asked what they would change about the recruitment season.  

“The unfortunate problem with the world today is that one individual can create a nationalistic contentious stigma that many organizations and cultures find hard to overcome,” Petty said.  

“One thing I truly despise about Greek life are the stereotypes accompanied with every house. I believe students need to be reminded that Greek life is to cultivate community rather than something to polarize people,” Stallard said.  

It is still to be determined if this will be the structure moving forward.