‘Queen of Tarts’ pops up in Baldwin City

Amanda Schultz goes all over showing off her home made pop-tarts that her and her mother make. On Friday morning, she was at the Post Office here in Baldwin City.

Peyton Maulbeck

Peyton Maulbeck

Story by Lily Stephens, Multimedia Editor

After a morning run on the brick streets of Baldwin City, Managing Editor Jenna Black spotted a red-and-white striped umbrella on the corner of 7th and High Street. She soon discovered that underneath that umbrella was baker Amanda Schultz and her homemade pop tarts.

Black quickly told me that she thought I should go investigate. After my own morning run, I grabbed a couple friends and we walked on over to the stand positioned right next to the Baldwin City Post Office. We were instantly greeted by a smile.

Schultz began making her pop tarts for her family, and after getting great reviews, she decided she should try to sell them. Being from Baldwin City, she mostly sells in town but has also sold her confections at First Friday’s in Kansas City. Recently she had a booth at the annual Maple Leaf Festival and also sold at the Blues & BBQ event Baldwin City hosted on Sept. 29.

“I’ve been baking ever since I was young, I grew up cooking with my mom in the kitchen, so it is just something I have always enjoyed doing,” Schultz said.

Through her Instagram account @queenoftartskc, she sends out information about where she will be for the day, a sneak peak into her baking process and featured flavors.

Some ‘Queen of Tarts’ flavors include blackberry rum, chocolate/peanut butter, raspberry, caramel apple, s’mores, strawberry, orange marmalade and more.

The day I visited Schultz had raspberry rum and chocolate/peanut butter flavors. Her selection is always rotating, just like her location. I had the opportunity to try both, and they were equally delicious. Imagine what you wish a pop tart tasted like: flaky, buttery pastry, a jam filling and a sprinkle-dawned frosted top rather than that classic overly sweet frosting a top cardboard flavor from a packaged pop tart.

The chocolate/peanut butter had a peanut butter filling with a chocolate frosted top. Inside the pastry casing was the peanut butter that had taken an almost Reese’s-Peanut-Butter-Cup like consistency. On top, the adorable sprinkles added the perfect crunchy touch.

My favorite was the raspberry rum flavor. With a gooey raspberry jam inside and some cute pink frosting on top, it looked very much like your classic pop tart. I would recommend warming up your tart for a even gooier and more delicious experience.

If you want to find out where Schultz will be next and the flavors she will have with her check out @queenoftartskc.

About the Contributor
Lily Stephens, Multimedia Editor

Lily Stephens is a junior public relations major. She has a passion for reporting and creating. Currently she is the Multimedia Editor for the Baker Orange...

• ‘Queen of Tarts’ pops up in Baldwin City

Arts & Entertainment

Editors review new library furniture

Multimedia

NERDs program prepares students for college

Multimedia

The online evolution of Baker University sports

Multimedia

Some BU students live gluten-free lives

Multimedia

Offseason underway for BU athletes

• Multimedia

Baker student discusses extreme fear of ticks

• Multimedia

Track teams ready for conference meet

Multimedia

Baseball clinches spot in conference tournament

Arts & Entertainment

Gloria Atanmo returns to BU for book tour

Multimedia

Bernie Sanders’ visit to KC draws passionate crowd