133 Coffee creates a gathering place

Justin Toumberlin

133 Coffee opened next to Cranberry Market at 106 6th Street on Feb. 16. The owners hope that students and members of the community are able to use their new coffee shop as a place to gather over coffee.

Story by Jenna Black, Editor in Chief

A gathering place and second home for Baker students and members of the community is what the owners of Baldwin’s newest coffee shop, 133 Coffee, aim to create.

“We view coffee as a way to gather and bring people together,” Owner and Baldwin City local Maggie Swanson said.

Swanson, 20, owns the quaint, cozy, coffee shop with her husband, Clay Swanson, 22, and sister Caroline Yardley, 18. Hunter Young, a December 2018 Baker graduate, serves as the manager.

133 Coffee is located next to the Cranberry Market at 106 6th Street. The coffee shop’s grand opening was Feb. 16. This came to a surprise to most Baker students as they had not heard of a new coffee shop coming to town.

“For four years, I have just dreamt of a cool coffee shop, and here it is finally,” senior Cole Stallard said.

Stallard, a frequent customer, appreciates that 133 Coffee sprouted from word of mouth and a simple Instagram account. Stallard himself does not have social media but found out about the new coffee shop through his mother and has since told many students about 133 Coffee. Junior Noah Hastings accompanies Stallard most times. Hastings appreciates the warm atmosphere and how they value their customers.

“The fact that the owners already know us by name and are reaching out to us makes us feel valued at this place,” Stallard said.

133 Coffee is now a popular destination for students to enjoy coffee while completing homework assignments and taking trendy pictures for their Instagram stories. The quaint home-like atmosphere invites customers to an extended stay. The deep green walls decorated with antique-looking posters reciprocate relaxation and simplicity. On each wooden table sits a succulent plant while contemporary Christian music and lo-fi beats softly play in the background as conversation stirs throughout the shop. In the center of the room an ax hangs above a fireplace as a centerpiece.

An ax serves as the logo for 133 Coffee because the owners grew up heating their home with wood. A poster that says, “cut your wood and it will warm you twice” is hung in the shop. Maggie and Yardley said that cutting wood to warm their home instilled the value of hard work and relishing in the fruits of their labor.

The bond forged from enduring something difficult together like cutting wood is something that they want to facilitate at their new coffee shop.

The number 133 was chosen because it is their home address just outside Baldwin City where Maggie, Clay and Yardley all grew up. The Yardley family took in Clay when he was 16 years old and living from couch to couch. The Yardley’s gave him his own room and created that sense of community and place to call home, just as they aim to do with their coffee shop.

Maggie, Clay and Yardley wanted to open 133 Coffee because they felt that Baldwin City needed a gathering place and traditional coffee from quality, locally sourced places. 133 Coffee gets their coffee from Messenger Coffee Company and baked goods from McLain’s Market.

They focus on a traditional style menu that consists of lattes, mochas, drip coffee, cappuccinos and more. Yardley says once they establish themselves and perfect their traditional drinks, the menu will expand to offer more variety along with seasonal drinks.

In the future, 133 Coffee hopes to stay open later during finals week to cater towards Baker students, host trivia nights such as “Parks & Rec,” “The Office” and “New Girl,” and open up their patio area to host worship nights. These events will help 133 Coffee achieve their overall goal of making a house for the community where people can gather over the common love of coffee.