Yoga studio brings new opportunities to community

Co-owner+of+Om+Grown+Lora+Rimmer+gives+session+based+on+breath+and+body+8%3A30+a.m.+on+Thursdays.+Rimmer+looks+to+reach+Baker+student+body+with+athlete+session+on+Saturdays.++

Justin Toumberlin

Co-owner of Om Grown Lora Rimmer gives session based on breath and body 8:30 a.m. on Thursdays. Rimmer looks to reach Baker student body with athlete session on Saturdays.

Story by Megan Stover, Staff Writer

The Om Grown Yoga Collective is bringing restoration, art, and new opportunities to the Baldwin City Community. Lora Rimmer, co-owner, said she started the Om Grown Yoga Collective with her friend because they felt it was important to bring more opportunities to Baldwin City.

“There are lots of yoga [studios] in Lawrence and Kansas City but there were no opportunities like that in Baldwin,” Rimmer said. “We always knew we wanted to have a space downtown, and we were really fortunate to move into this building in June.”

Rimmer said the studio and its’ classes are open to all ages and experience levels, and she hopes to see a lot of the community members give it a try.

“All of our levels are multi-level classes,” she said. “The teachers all have enough experience and training that we can modify up or down for students.”

Morning, mid afternoon, and evening classes are all available throughout the week. Each class has different goals in mind, whether that be waking up for the day or winding down at night. A yoga class targeted for athletes is available on Saturday mornings.

“This class is specifically designed for a population of people, not just athletes… who are needing specific core, lower, or upper body exercise,”Rimmer said.

The Om Grown Yoga collective kicked off their art series this month on Sept. 21. This series featured local artists and each session contained 45 minutes of yoga followed by an art project lead by the artist.

“The yoga is designed to get the creative juices flowing, and then every time will be a different art project,” she said. “We want people to understand that there is this creative process that can change and morph as you move through different yoga poses.”

Lille Stuart-Carnes, senior Art major, said she can see how the meditative state of yoga combined with something creative could help people’s mental state.

“The opportunity for a space where people can relax and destress and enjoy both of those aspects is great for students because it’s something we don’t have on campus,” Stuart-Carnes said. “[Students] can take a painting class and yoga class but can’t do both together.”

Stuart-Carnes said she is excited to have a studio near her and thinks Baker University students will enjoy it as well.

“Once people know it’s local and within walking distance, it will encourage them to try it out,” she said. I think it’s a really cool opportunity for students and community members.”