Women’s tennis undefeated after fall season

Kayelee+Smith+and+Morgan+Francis+stand+ready+as+they+prepare+for+a+serve+in+a+doubles+match+against+Ottawa+University.+

Kayelee Smith and Morgan Francis stand ready as they prepare for a serve in a doubles match against Ottawa University.

Alex Fortuna

Alex Fortuna

Alex Fortuna

Story by Makenzie Musgrove, Sports Editor

The Baker University Women’s Tennis team finished up their fall season undefeated with a 3-0 record while facing tough competition.

In their first matchup of the year, the Wildcats faced the William Jewell Cardinals. The Wildcats and Cardinals have a history of matchups with the Cardinals. The Cardinals have historically controlled the matchups with the Wildcats as the Wildcats have a 3-8 record against the Cardinals.

The Wildcats return with experience as the players are all sophomores, juniors and seniors. The Wildcats used that experience to their advantage as they took on the Cardinals in a close match up eventually coming away with the 4-3 win over the NCAA Division II school.

The Wildcats next matchup came against Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference (KCAC) opponent Bethel College. Kayelee Smith, Cortlyn Wolfe, Chassidy Weathers and Josephine contributed to the Wildcats 4-2 win over the Bethel Threshers as they all came away with wins in singles play.

Continuing with another matchup against in the KCAC against the Tabor College Bluejays the Wildcats dominated as the women came away with wins in all their matches to take the 6-0 win while hosting the Blue Jays.

The Wildcats fall season has concluded and their next competition will take place on Feb. 1 against Cowley County Community College in Lawrence, Kan. where the Wildcats will look to stay undefeated.