Campus feels loss of admissions counselor

Justin Toumberlin

Students and faculty came together in the Long Student Center on Feb. 25 to sign a banner to honor Admissions Counselor Deeva Sharma.

Story by Elizabeth Hanson, Editor-in-Chief

On the night of Feb. 24, Baker University suffered the loss of one of its own. Admissions Counselor and Baker Alumna Deeva Sharma was beloved by many, not only in the Admissions Department, but across campus. Sharma was driving home when she was involved in a two-vehicle crash on Highway 56.

Her dedication to Baker went further than the workplace. Sharma, age 25, graduated from Baker in 2016 from the College of Arts and Sciences with a major in English and had just received her master’s degree in education from Boston University.

Sharma worked with prospective students from the Johnson County area and was a mentor to many on campus. She worked closely with the students who worked as University Admission Assistants.

Dr. Lynne Murray sent a thoughtful statement to everyone at Baker on the morning of Feb. 25 addressing the grief on campus.

“Deeva had a smile and kind words for everyone. She was a joy to work with, and we will miss her deeply” Murray said. “We have lost a dear friend and valued colleague. During this time of grief, I encourage you to lean upon others in the Baker community and keep Deeva’s loved ones in your thoughts and prayers.”

Students and staff alike feel the effects of this tragedy. Junior and University Admissions Assistant Hadley Kaff is proposing that a room in Denious Hall be dedicated with Sharma’s name.

“Deeva has had a huge impact on my life. She was one who I could always rely on for advice whether it was about boys, my sorority or school. My hope for right now is that I could convince the administration to aid me in my efforts in regards to placing a memorial for her on campus,” Kaff said.

Baker University and its community will miss the passion that Sharma showed in both her work and personal life.

“She has contributed so much to this university, not just in her work but in her relationships that she built with her students, especially me,” Kaff said. “Deeva deserves to be remembered by us.”