COVID-19 fall semester changes

Story by Will Hanson, Arts and Entertainment Editor

In the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, Baker University, like many other universities, has implemented safety precautions for the upcoming fall semester.

The semester will begin on August 17 and will finish on November 24. In order to release students by Thanksgiving, the University will hold classes on Labor Day and will not have a fall break. Final exams will be held on November 18-20 and November 23-24.

To ensure that all students are aware of the changes and policies regarding campus safety in the fall, students are required to complete the COVID-19 education that is available through Moodle.

There are three sections of the required education. The first section is mandatory for all students and requires and 80% on the quiz and a signed statement.

The second section is mandatory for all students that will be living in University housing for the Fall semester. Like the first section, the second section requires an 80% on the quiz.

The third section contains many other resources for students to access if they have concerns involving any other aspect of the University’s COVID-19 protocol.

All students who have not completed the required education by August 17, will be removed from classes and campus without refund. Students are encouraged to wear a cloth face covering when out in public, where social distancing should be maintained.

Along with encouraging masks for all campus events, all events will be moved outside, if possible, to limit close contact.

The University has also recommended avoiding all non-essential travel and will require all students, faculty, staff and visitors to wear masks over their mouths and noses when social distancing of six feet cannot be properly maintained.

If a student is experiencing two or more symptoms of COVID-19 it will be expected that they do not attend any classes. They will then alert Dean Cassy Bailey and email their faculty to let them know.

According to the University’s COVID-19 website, a detailed email will be sent early in the semester, that details remote learning contingency plans.

Classes will be limited to 40 students, with all classroom furniture arranged to uphold social distancing practices. Large classes may be divided into two separate groups that will rotate between in-person and remote learning.

Professors will provide remote learning for any students that end up in quarantine and cannot attend class.

All students are expected to bring their own personal medical kit. The kit must include:

• A digital Thermometer
  • Three washable, reusable cloth masks that fit properly
  • Hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol
  • Fever reducer/pain reliever (Acetaminophen)
  • EPA approved disinfectant wipes

As per the University’s policy, all students who are tested positive with COVID-19 must immediately make plans to return home. COVID-19 positive students will be able to isolate temporarily in designated quarantine rooms on campus or in The Lodge Hotel until they can arrange plans to return home.

The first priority will be given to students already residing in residence halls. Students living in Fraternity/Sorority houses can be housed in the isolation rooms temporarily permitting availability.

Local hotel, The Lodge, will serve as overflow for isolation rooms. Students will be able to stay at The Lodge for a discounted rate.

More Information

Baker Student Counseling Center: 785-594-8409

CDC

Kansas Department of Health and Environment