Baker University alters sports spectator policies

Story by Makenzie Musgrove, Sports Editor

Baker University Athletics has announced new policies regarding spectators for athletic events hosted by Baker University due to COVID-19 safety concerns.

As a preventative measure in response to the pandemic, there will be no fans permitted to attend games or athletic events on Baker University’s campus. This policy is currently only in place for the month of September and will be revisited at the end of the month.

While every Baker University sports team will be affected by this change, home football games may be especially quiet. Football games at Liston Stadium consistently draw large crowds, giving this new policy the potential to have a big impact on the team’s home game atmosphere. Baker University Sophomore Joey Janes said, “I will miss our fans the most, they always do a good job of being loud and helping us swing momentum in our direction. It will be a change for all of us for sure.” Despite the changes, Janes remains optimistic on the team’s perspective. “Teams will have to bring their own energy; which I believe we have the kind of players on our team that won’t have an issue doing that.”

Fans are encouraged to livestream athletic events through BlueFrame Technology. Baker University has invested new efforts into providing a livestream to all home athletic events so that fans still have access to watch games and events. Access to livestream events can be found here.

The announcement of this policy comes after Baker University and the Heart of America Athletic Conference have remained committed to starting and continuing with the fall sports season.