Volleyball falls in season opener

Sophomore+Taylor+Kile+contributed+with+seven+kills+for+the+Wildcats+against+the+Crusaders+to+open+the+season.+

Justin Toumberlin

Sophomore Taylor Kile contributed with seven kills for the Wildcats against the Crusaders to open the season.

Story by Makenzie Musgrove, Sports Editor

The Baker University Women’s Volleyball team opened their season in Springfield, Mo. at Evangel University against the Crusaders.

The undefeated Crusaders were too much to handle for the Wildcats as the Crusaders swept the Wildcats 3-0 in three straight sets.

The Crusaders opened the first set with a 5-0 run. The Wildcats brought the match closer with a score of 18-12, but the Crusaders then went on a 7-0 run to close out the first set with a final score of 25-12 in favor of the Crusaders.

The Wildcats opened the second set with a 8-7 lead, but the Crusaders fought back to win the set with a score of 25-16.

The third set was the closest set of the night with a score of 25-19. But the Crusaders came out on top to sweep the Wildcats in three straight sets.

Senior Taylor Bell led all Wildcats with eight kills and one block. Taylor Kile, sophomore, complemented Bell with seven kills, leading the duo to come away with 15 of the Wildcats’ 24 kills against the Crusaders.

The Wildcats will look to pick up their first win against the Central Methodist University Eagles on Sept. 18 at 7 p.m. in Collins Center.