Men’s Soccer takes on Central Methodist University

Kenzie Kuhlmann

Sophomore Finn Krueger waiting to substitute in for a teammate.

Story by Zach Reeder, Staff Writer

The men’s soccer team met their match on Saturday night against the #1 ranked team in the NAIA in the Central Methodist University Eagles. The Wildcats came in winners of two straight matches, but the Eagles blitzed the Wildcats after 44 minutes of scoreless soccer. The final score was 4-1 with the Eagles on top. The Baker Wildcats fell to just under .500 on the season with a 5-6 record.

Nearly through the first half unscathed, the Wildcats couldn’t keep the Eagles attack from taking good shots. The Eagles caught their stride in the second half by finding the back of the net three more times. 

The Wildcats were able to avoid the shutout in the 89th minute off a free kick from Sophomore defender Massimo Salvoni as he connected with his Junior teammate, Mohamet Cisse, to get Baker on the board. The Wildcats will continue to build off their success in the first half against the #1 team in the NAIA.

The Central Methodist Eagles outpaced the Baker Wildcats in the shot department by a fairly wide margin. The #1 CMU Eagles flexed their muscle with 22 total shots on the evening, compared to the Wildcats four shots. The discipline and patience paid off for the Eagles in the long run on Saturday night. 

The Baker Wildcats men’s soccer team will be in action this weekend on Saturday, November 7th at home on Senior Day against the Culver-Stockton Wildcats. The senior day festivities will begin around 5 p.m. with game time set for 5:30 p.m. that night. The Baker Wildcats will try to get back to .500 in the last regular-season matchup of their shortened season.